Monday, January 19, 2015

Pumpkin Diversity

I order most of my seed from Fedco Seeds, then save seed from each season to plant the next. Last year I decides to plant a new pumpkin, Rouge Vif d’√Čtampes Pumpkin (Cucurbita maxima). This pumpkin is very pretty and reported to be mild tasting.
I fed most of them to the livestock as I usually do. Pumpkin is very nutritious, and the seeds are an effective natural wormer.

A couple were held back to see how well they would keep since they are reported to be poor "keepers". These two have been in my kitchen since September.
Yesterday I cut the top off of one and was pleased to find it firm and fragrant. I scooped the seeds into coffee filters and set them in a sunny window sill to dry.











All of the recipes for pumpkin soup I have seen call for cream and instruct you to blend the ingredients smooth. I decided my soup would have the consistency of  vegetable soup. the night before I prepared a beef roast adding extra liquid, potatoes and carrots. The first "ingredient" I put into my pumpkin was the left over beef roast liquid and vegies. Then I added dried onions and tomatoes, garlic a bit of ginger, and enough broth to fill the pumpkin 3/4 full.



  I put the lid back on and put it into the oven in a pie plate at 350 F for 90 minutes. After a while I decided I should have added some rice so I partially cooked some mixed rice and added it to the liquid.








The soup looked and smelled wonderful when it came out of the oven.







I ladeled the soup into bowls scraping some of the pumpkin into each serving, and it tasted fabulous. I will definitely be planting and using these pumpkins in the coming year!





No comments:

Post a Comment